Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Quiet Life

I have always loved 1 Thessalonians 4:11

"and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands, just as we commanded you, "

It has always called to my heart reminding me of my calling.

A few years ago, our pastor preached a sermon on this passage that brought even more conviction that this was a key need in my life. A quiet life.
Thus the name of my blog.

Now with 4 children how can life be quiet? The are around me all day long. Less than 2000 square feet housing 6 people equals a bit of noise. No, life for me at this stage is far from quiet in a literal sense, but is my heart quiet before the Lord? Am I making it my ambition to focus on the things that the Lord has given me to do - today- or am I running to and fro -literally or figuratively?

Am I minding my own business, so that I have something to offer others, or am I constantly burned out, stressed out? And what of minding my own business? Am I doing the things that the Father has given me to do, the things most important for me at this season of my life, or am I busy doing the things I think are a priority?

What does a quiet life look like? I am still pondering this, but I do know a few things for sure. It is a life of contentment. Being content in the provision of the One who knows my needs before I do. Confident that the God of providence knows all things and does all things well. Nothing that comes into my life takes Him by surprise or baffles Him. Oh to learn to always rest in this knowledge and to let it quiet my heart and my life!

The 4 and a half months since my last post have tested this area of my life yet again. My last post asked for prayer for my father-in-law, Curt. We had just discovered that he had cancer and the prognoses was not good. For the next 2.5 months, we prayed. We cried. We made lots of 8 hr trips to visit him in the hospital. We hoped. God is very good, but life is also very hard and this was the hardest thing we had faced. Where is my quiet heart that can help me survive all the craziness around me? Too often I lost sight of the only one who can bring peace in the midst of a storm. Yet there he was, comforting, bringing calm, giving strength.


February 7th brought the end of Curt's life here on earth. A very sad time for us all even while we rejoiced that he was free of pain and with the Lord. The 2 months since have been hard but we see the sun peeking out behind the clouds. We rest in God's goodness and thank him for his comfort.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cori, I wanted to share with you that this reflection about a quiet life is just what I needed to read- I will be reflecting on this, it is deep...thanks! I am also sorry about your father in law, I saw Greyson and said this to him but having lost my father in law last year I know it is hard for you too- we do grow to love them so much. God bless you!
-Vickie Maciel

Ashley said...

Such profound and heartfelt words! We are sorry for you loss, but happy he is with his Lord!!

It is very nice to have you back! :)

Amber said...

Great post! Thanks for the reminder about the link between quietness and being content in all things. It is a journey I am afraid will last our whole life. Just when I "have" it down, I lose it :-)